From: Caio S. Souza (caiobiounb_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 12 2016 - 17:03:21 CDT

Hi!
I've made the necessary changes to allow compiling VMD (1.9.2) with python
versions 2.7.x and 3.x. I tested it on versions 2.7, 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5, and
everything is working well. The only drawback is that tkinter is not usable
under versions 3.x. This is due to the removal of the function
Tkinter.tkinter.dooneevent which VMD relies on (file PythonTextInterp.C). I
couldn't find a replacement to this code. So, don't create tkinter UI when
using version 3+. On version 2 tkinter works as expected.

To compile, simply place the modified files (
www.lbtc.unb.br/software/downloads/vmd-1.9.2-python3-modifications.zip)
into the "src" folder. To use python 3+, run the 2to3 tool on the files
inside the "python" folder.

Cheers

--
Caio S. Souza
Laboratório de Biologia Teórica e Computacional