From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Thu Jun 16 2016 - 02:53:57 CDT

Yes, doing some TCL programming it's possible. (adapted from some of my
other codes, untested)

#settings
set index 1234
set molid 0

#set global rotation/zoom center to atom coords
set sel [atomselect $molid "index $index"]
set avg_center [$sel get {x y y}]
eval "molinfo $molid set center [list [list $avg_center]]"

#optionally translate to have the atom in the middle of the graphics
set global_matrix [lindex [molinfo top get global_matrix] 0]
set ctrans [list [lindex [lindex $global_matrix 0] 3] [lindex [lindex
$global_matrix 1] 3] [lindex [lindex $global_matrix 2] 3]]
eval "translate to $ctrans"

Now use "scale" to zoom to that atom.

Mir freundlichen Grüßen

Norman Geist