From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Wed Mar 16 2016 - 04:56:34 CDT

If VMD doesn’t get any bond information from any input file, it will guess bonds for visualization purpose. This guessing is done based on elements vdw radii but before the elements are guessed from atom names, if also this information is not available. If you have overlapping polymers which VMD should not show to be bonded, you need to tell VMD where to draw the bonds. This can be done from the TCL interface or by passing a suitable parameter file, which describes your system e.g. prmtop or psf. Unfortunately VMD doesn’t care about either the connectivity table in PDB files nor the TER lines.

Norman Geist