From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 10:34:55 CDT

Dear VMD-L,
  I've just posted the latest versions of all of the VMD
plugins for people that wish to download and install them.

This latest update includes significant performance improvements
in reading all byte-swapped files (reading a binary trajectory
file produced on an x86 Linux machine on an SGI, or vice-versa,
for example..) In the case of the DCD plugin, trajectory reading
performance is now limited primarily by disk I/O rate.
I've successfully read byte-swapped trajectories at up to 118MB/sec
with the new code on a Sun with software RAID and lots of RAM.
This should make it much more convenient to analyze huge datasets
on whatever platform is convenient since the disk I/O is the
limiting performance factor.

We also fixed a bug in reading non-orthogonal volumetric file formats
which affected the brixplugin, ccp4plugin, fs4plugin, and edmplugin.

The new plugins are posted for download here:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/182update3/

If anyone encounters unexpected behavior with the new plugins, please
let us know.

Thanks,