From: Tristan Croll (tristan.croll_at_qut.edu.au)
Date: Thu Nov 05 2015 - 16:28:31 CST

Hi Akshay,

Probably the easiest way to do this is to take advantage of the fact that, to VMD, “protein” is anything that contains atoms named C, N, CA and O – which should catch all non-standard amino acids as well. So if you do:

set sel [atomselect top protein]
set resnames [lsort –unique [$sel get resname]]

… then all you have to do from there is a simple check of $resnames against a list of standard amino acid resnames.

Cheers,

Tristan