From: Eiros Zamora, Juan (j.eiros-zamora14_at_imperial.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Nov 02 2015 - 03:35:36 CST

Dear VMD users,

I recently installed VMD 1.9.2
        • MacOS X OpenGL (32-bit Intel x86) (Apple MacOS-X (10.4.7 or later) with hardware OpenGL (native bundle))
on a new iMac with the following specs:

OS X El Capitan
Version 10.11.1
Processor 4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB

I tried loading a netcdf trajectory that I obtained with AMBER split in chunks, in total its around 6GB of data.

I got the following error

> VMD(63006,0xa344c000) malloc: *** mach_vm_map(size=8388608) failed (error code=3)
> *** error: can't allocate region
> *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
> putget.c:3593: failed assertion `value != NULL'
> Abort trap: 6

I tried to attach a more complete error message on a 54 KB text file, but the message didn’t reach the mailing list, so I can email it off-list if need be.

I googled the error and saw some similar problems on this mailing list, but they were from 2007 to 2011.
I understand that this is related to the 32-bit version of VMD for Mac, is there any solution to this now (as in, can I get a 64-bit version)? Also, would installing the CUDA version make any difference? I presume not, but just to be sure that I am installing the most appropriate version of VMD for this machine…

Thanks for any suggestions,

Juan Eiros