From: Pawel Kedzierski (pawel.kedzierski_at_pwr.edu.pl)
Date: Fri Oct 23 2015 - 03:17:14 CDT

W dniu 23.10.2015 o 08:46, Bonakala Satyanarayana pisze:
> Dear VMD developers, I have installed VMD in ubuntu 14.04. However, a
> blank transparent display window is coming after execution of vmd. I
> have an integrated graphics card in my laptop and I have installed
> nvidia-304 drivers. Can anyone help me to get a proper display window
> along with vmd-main.
Dear Satya,
This is only a guess based on the limited information you have provided,
but it seems to me that you have an "Optimus technology" based laptop.
If this is the case, you should install another software package which
supports such configuration:

sudo apt-get install bumblebee-nvidia

It may be a good idea to purge nvidia-304 first, because the problem you
see may be due to misconfiguration done by this package (without
bumblebee it assumes that the nvidia GPU is available directly).
The nvidia drivers will be pulled back by bumblebee-nvidia and it should
configure your system properly (at least it did for me :)
Note that to actually make vmd use the nvidia card, it should be run
through "optirun" utility.
I have a bash alias for this:
alias vmd='optirun vmd'

There is another supplement which gives improved performance, from
package "primus"; when you install it, you should use "primusrun vmd".
More information is to be found e.g. here:
http://www.webupd8.org/2012/11/primus-better-performance-and-less.html

Cheers,
Pawel