From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 04 2015 - 06:01:37 CDT

Unexpectedly, unlike in the past, I am unable to reproduce (Gaussian DFT
B3LYP opt or opt=tight in vacuo) the crystal structure of the di-Fe(II)
cluster. One Fe comes out correctly with a square bipyramid octahedral
coordination. The coordination around the other Fe, which should include a
water molecule, is disrupted: instead of a trigonal bipyramid coordination
including water, the water molecule becomes H-bonded to a carboxylate and
Fe is left in a awkward situation. That is of no interest to the audience.
What may be of interest, is that I do not remember whether I used before an
implicit environment for the quantum mechanical calculations. Otherwise,
reproducing the crystal structure with calculations in vacuo should be
viewed as a miracle for this complex cluster. A miracle that was not
repeated in these days.

Unfortunately, not all from previous calculations was saved (it was a
couple of years ago, abandoned as I was unable to extract the force
constants). The pdb, obtained at those time with newzmat, shows that the
crystal structure was reproduced correctly. What else I still have is a
.fchk file reporting the freq analysis only, and the related Hessian matrix
that I extracted from the .chk file. Can these be submitted to ffTK or the
complete Gaussian log file is needed?

Thanks for a comment on in vacuo vs implicit solvent calculations and, of
course, about the ffTK requirements.

francesco