From: Mayne, Christopher G (cmayne2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 25 2015 - 16:14:33 CDT

Chitrak,

QME is the QM-computed PES -- the target.
MMEi is the MM-computed PES if k=0 for all of the dihedrals that are being optimized. I think of this as a "starting point".

Therefore, the MMEi will usually differ strongly from the QME. The as your parameters get better, the optimization data should get closer to the QME profile. In the plot that you attached, there are a few places where the shape of the optimization data differ strongly from the QME. I would focus on these areas and carefully assess what terms (i.e., multiplicities) you are using in these regions. This is usually the hard part for complicated molecules. Once the proper terms are setup to reproduce the shape of the QME, the optimizer is generally very good at converging near the target.

Regards,

Christopher Mayne