From: JC Gumbart (gumbart_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 09 2015 - 10:42:18 CDT

Hi Kevin,

Sorry for not seeing your email earlier - I rarely have time to check the mailing lists anymore. This is indeed a longstanding problem with stride and large structures. The way I have solved it in the past is to use a script to feed individual segments to stride such that their SS is calculated correctly. There is a link for a script on the VMD script page:

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/stride_workaround <http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/stride_workaround>

But it seems to have disappeared (or never was there?); John might remember. If not, I have one I can provide to him for the website.

Once you have the correct SS in VMD, you can hack the ssrestraints.tcl plugin to read from the current molecule instead of loading a new one.

———

All of that being said, I see in the plugins directory that ssrestraints.tcl calls another set of procs in ssrestraints_stride.tcl that are supposed to be more robust than the normal way of calling stride? I am not familiar with it, so I can’t comment.

Best,
JC