From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Wed Aug 05 2015 - 00:12:33 CDT

Hi,

you need to make sure to not use more than half of the available memory with VMD when using external binaries, cause they are run from a TCL terminal via “exec”. The program call by exec is forked to protect the calling process, which causes a duplication of the original caller process, so requires the doubled memory to be reserved. This is where it fails.

There are two options to solve the problem.

1. Use less memory, e.g. less frames or exclude water from trajectory.

2. Use tachyon “internal”. This might still cause the same error on the final video generation. So you’d need to deselect the “delete image files” from the movie maker and run ffmpeg/ppmtompeg later on the image files manually.

Good luck

Norman Geist.