From: Mayne, Christopher G (cmayne2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 14 2015 - 09:25:07 CDT

Van,

The algorithm behind the autodetection of donor/acceptor is not particularly sophisticated and is only designed to give a quick initial guess. This works out for reasonably simple molecules, but more complete molecules often require manual intervention.

I suspect that the majority of your problem is due to improperly set "element" field in your PDB file, which is used by the algorithm. By default all atoms with element "H" are defined as donors. Non-hydrogens (i.e., "heavy atoms") are subjected to only a slightly more complex decision tree. Heavy atoms with fewer than 4 bonded atoms are default to the acceptors list, while carbons are placed in both lists. The reasoning behind this is that most non-carbon heavy atoms are electronegative (the most common example is oxygen), while the character of carbons with 3 or fewer bonding partners is heavily dependent on the local environment.

Hopefully that sheds some light on what assignments were made, and where you may have errors in your input files that lead to the strange assignments.

As for the water interaction profile with the sulfur atom...a water molecules moving to a large distance indicates that no local minimum was found for the target interaction. In this case it appears that the sulfur atom is acting more as a donor than acceptor, based on your results.

Regards,
Christopher Mayne