From: Felipe Merino (felipe.merino_at_mpi-muenster.mpg.de)
Date: Wed Jun 10 2015 - 02:50:54 CDT

Hi Francesco,

Unfortunately I cannot help you with bigdcd since I have never used it
myself. Anyways, I have used before the pbctools from a text only
version of vmd to fix the wrapping of some protein/DNA complex
simulations before.

The script was something like this

package require pbctools

mol new ../Oct4_UTF1_ModelC.prmtop
for { set d 1 } { $d <= 20 } { incr d } {
         mol addfile restart.coor
         mol addfile ../Oct4_UTF1_ModelC_dyn$d.dcd waitfor all
         set macromol [ atomselect top "protein or nucleic" ]
         pbc unwrap -sel "protein or nucleic"
         set lFrame [ expr [ molinfo top get numframes ] -1 ]
         animate goto $lFrame
         animate write namdbin restart.coor
         animate write dcd $d.dcd beg 1 end $lFrame waitfor all sel
$macromol
         animate delete beg 0 end $lFrame
}

In my case I only wanted the macromolecules and I did not write any
water or other things. The unwrapped restart file is necesary when you
unwrap several consecutive windows since otherwise vmd does not know
where to put the molecules.

I hope that helps

Cheers

Felipe