From: Mayne, Christopher G (cmayne2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Tue May 19 2015 - 15:07:21 CDT

Evandro,

Please note that parameterization is an advanced topic, even for experienced practitioners of molecular dynamics. I strongly suggest that before jumping into parameterizations of large, complex molecules, that you first work through parameterizations of smaller, simple molecules to gain a better understanding of the force field, and the more importantly, the established protocols for parameterizing for that force field. These protocols are not arbitrary, and deviations from them should be well thought out and justified to obtain reasonable and reliable results.

In addition to Brian's response I'll add that:

One of the key ways in which CHARMM is different from GROMOS and AMBER is the method for developing charges. The CHARMM protocol is founded on optimizing water interactions, which is critical to maintain compatibility with other CHARMM force fields (e.g., biopolymers, CGenFF). The charges returned by the QM software are computed by different methods that are (potentially) more meaningful to the QM calculation than any subsequent MM-based MD calculation.

Regards,
Christopher Mayne