From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 30 2015 - 11:14:53 CDT

Definitely making it too complicated. :D If you have the labels in what
sounds like an xyz or pdb format, you could load each frame individually
into VMD, copy over the label pieces into user, and then color by user.
Labels are supposed to be static and unchanging throughout the
simulation, so this is why you are having some difficulties, as VMD will
read the labels/atomnames from the first frame and not let them change.
The file formats just weren't designed with this in mind, since for most
applications, the names of atoms don't change, and it saves storage
space. Basically you'd need to get around this limitation by reading in
one frame at a time, and copying the label over to a field that is
allowed to change with time.

-Josh