From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2015 - 02:44:03 CST

On Jan 7, 2015 8:21 AM, "Dhritiman Talukdar" <dhritimant_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried to save as mol2 file. but Avogadro was taking time.. I guess
there is no point in trying to convert the pdb to mol2 in OpenBable
although I tried it too..
> Please suggest any other file format I should try.

I gave a URL to the list of file formats supported by vmd in a previous
email.

> Now about the force fields... For the smaller systems I have been using
the parameters form the following paper:
> Interface of Grafted and Ungrafted Silica Nanoparticles with a
Polystyrene Matrix: Atomistic Molecular Dynamics Simulations
> Tinashe V. M. Ndoro, Evangelos Voyiatzis, Azadeh Ghanbari, Doros N.
Theodorou, Michael C. Böhm, and Florian Müller-Plathe
> Macromolecules 2011 44 (7), 2316-2327
> http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ma102833u
> pair_style lj/charmm/coul/charmm
> bond_style harmonic
> angle_style harmonic
> I have taken care of the units. I am using units style real
>
> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 10:54 AM, Axel Kohlmeyer <akohlmey_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

>> On Jan 7, 2015 5:41 AM, "Dhritiman Talukdar" <dhritimant_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

>> > I realize that none of the atoms should have more than 4 bonds in the
structure and it doesn't.. But the total number of bonds is large so maybe
that is the

>> No, it isn't.
>>
>> problem. Also, I am having no problems with 32*32*32 file or lower.
After using "topo retypebonds" and "topo bondtypenames", VMD shows only
Si-O bond.

>> > The pdb file was made in Avogadro by adding a unit cell and then using
Supercell Builder. Before saving the unit cell was removed.

>> I repeat, it is a _very_ bad idea to use the pdb file format for such a
large structure.

>> > I will try with the Tersoff force field.
>>
>> I don't understand this statement. You will have to know which force
field you want to use _before_ you start building a topology and not the
other way around.

>> > Also automatic bond suppression by autobonds off filebonds off is not
working in VMD text mode in a linux intel HPC.

>> Nonsense. It works fine.

that many bonds (think about it, the lattice shouldn't have more than 4
bonds per atom...), so I'd look more closely at how the system was
constructed rather than spend your time recompiling VMD.

will not solve anything. Vmd won't complain, but the structure will be
garbage.

there must not be bonds in the.topology and thus automatic bond generation
must be suppressed.

the number of SiO2 i.e. 37 Si and 74 O).
sphere will be sculpted out using LAMMPS.