From: Kirby Vandivort (kvandivo_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 18 2014 - 15:26:21 CST

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 2:31 PM, John Stone <johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Here are my observations about getting the TV working with VMD:
> - If you drive the TV at native 4K resolution (3840x2160), and you have
> an up-to-date video driver and a GPU that can handle the full resolution
> without chrominance downsampling, you can simply enable
> "row-interleaved"
> stereo mode in VMD (nothing has to be done with the TV itself) and
> you'll
> get 3-D (you may have to enable VMD 3-D eye swap, particularly if the
> VMD
> OpenGL window gets moved around).
>
> - If you drive the TV at any resolution _below_ the native 4K hardware
> resolution (e.g. 1080p or less), the TV's built-in 3-D stereo decoder
> mode MUST be activated, and then you should set VMD's stereo mode to
> match whatever the TV's built-in stereo 3-D decoder is set to.
>
> So far, we have driven the TV at full 4K resolution and stereo on Linux,
> but we have not (yet) found a Mac laptop that is able to drive the TV
> over HDMI at full 4K resolution. All of the Macs we have tried have
> all maxed out at 1080p thus far. We haven't yet tried Windows laptops yet.
> The various stereo modes worked fine with the Mac laptops, albeit at
> only 1080p resolution.

Mac at >1080p.

I'm running on a Macbook Pro, early 2013 retina edition. To get it working
with the previously described LG tvs you have to download a utility that
let's you get at all of the resolutions Apple doesn't want you to know
about.

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/vi9yf/set_your_retina_macbook_pros_resolution_to

has a link to a display utility that runs in your menu bar. When you
double click it, you won't get a window. But check the menu bar at the top
(near the wifi signal indicator, etc) and you can attach to the TV and
choose the resolution that you want. The LG won't respond to most of the
resolutions in the list above 1080p, but it WILL do 3840x2160 at 25 hz. At
that res, the row interleaved stereo works fine. It's a bit much to expect
extremely high performance from a laptop at that resolution, but it does
work, and looks pretty slick.

--
Kirby Vandivort                      Theoretical and
Senior Research Programmer            Computational Biophysics