From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2014 - 02:43:08 CST

Hi,

You face a general problem here. You will not be able to load trajectories of different atom count into the same molecule in VMD. But assuming that the atom count stays the same for some amount of time, your code should write individual trajectories every time the atom count changes.

Now write a TCL script that loads each of these trajectories to VMD as individual molecules, but create empty fake frames (all coordinates -100 or so; display reset view will not work fine than) before you actually load the real trajectory since the 2nd molecule. In that way you will still be able to use the play function of VMD and it will look like the atoms appear like normal.

Example (-=real frame; *=fake frame)

You could also use “trace” to trigger changes of the animation frame to show/hide molecules based on if they currently have fake frames or not.

Good luck.

Norman Geist.