From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 23 2014 - 14:14:12 CDT

Hmm... John would know more about if the leftovers can cause problems.
To check, I'd change the config and makefiles so that it will install to
a different location (your home directory?), and then run VMD directly
from this new install location rather than the one in /usr/local as a
test. I've never personally seen this behavior, and don't know the
details of how the extensions tree is populated, so I'm afraid I can't
be more helpful.
-Josh