From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 23 2014 - 09:08:07 CDT

The negative sign. If you use charge "-0.7982", it'll work. John can
probably be more enlightening about the details of WHY this is the case
(I ran into this problem with negative resids, and I couldn't figure out
why this was a problem), but the negative sign screws up the
atomselection parser somehow unless its put in quotations. Note that
negative numbers are allowed as math operands, so if you wanted charge >
-0.8 and charge < -0.79, there the negative signs are handled correctly.

-Josh Vermaas