From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 22 2014 - 19:08:55 CDT

Hi Ashar,

If the output filetype isn't dcd, you are required to specify the output
filetype, as the default is dcd. What you did with catdcd is make a
dcd-formatted file with a .xtc extension. You can test this by
force-loading the "xtc" file you made into VMD as a dcd, and it will
work. So your command line should be:

catdcd.exe -o ala.trr -otype trr -dcd alanin.dcd

catdcd also can't write xtc files (at least according to its usage
information, that's why the command above outputs to trr), as the
molfileplugin for xtc doesn't have a writer, only a reader.

-Josh Vermaas