From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 03 2004 - 10:03:13 CST

Olaf,
  The difficulty involved in implementing coarse-grain visualization
in VMD would depend a lot on what you'd like to do. Do you want to be
able to display trajectories of these simulations? We've done a few
local hacks with scripts to load some coarse-grain models that were
done by another group as "atoms" of a sort. If you have your own file
format, then it'd probably be easy for you to write a plugin for it.
I'd recommend that you look at the XYZ plugin for starters, and once
you've got that working, look at one of the plugins that reads bond
information for guidance on how that's done. (assuming you want some
form of connectivity between the beads...)
Longer term there might be a need to teach VMD to deal with coarse-grain
models better, but until then, you can actually do a surprising amount
with what we already have.

Thanks,