From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2014 - 16:28:42 CDT

There isn't a definitive list that I'm aware of. I do know that I've
compiled it with 5.5 on at least one machine (CentOS), so that on its
own is probably not the reason. In my experience, the problem tends to
be that in the configure file, no effort is made to detect what is
actually available on your system, and instead it defaults to what is
available in the build environment that makes the binaries for public
consumption. For CUDA, it defaults to 4.0, and assumes its in a place
that would not be standard on a debian-based OS. I'm working off memory
here, as I don't have it in front of me, but I had issues with my cuda
builds until I changed the $cuda_library variable to point to where dpkg
put the cudart library (-L/usr/local/cuda/lib?) and make sure that
$arch_nvcc points to where you want it. The trick here is that those
variables are defined multiple times, so you need to find the definition
that you are actually using (probably the LINUXAMD64 one?). Of course,
it could be something completely different. What are the compiler errors
exactly saying?
-Josh