From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 14 2014 - 20:48:22 CDT

Hi Chris,

I have not, as for me it picks up 2.7 without issue. What does a normal
vmd python start look like for you? (The text from "vmd -dispdev text
-python") It clearly isn't picking up the system libraries, as I think
those are 2.7 at minimum, so somewhere, somehow, you missed something in
the config file.

This is what I have, based on my build for 12.04:
$python_defines = "-DVMDPYTHON";
$python_include = "-I/usr/include/python2.7/";
$python_library = "-L/usr/lib/python2.7/config-x86_64-linux-gnu/";
$python_libs = "-lpython2.7 -lpthread";

The config file also has stuff involving stock_python nonsense, which I
tend to comment out since its horrifically out of date and not useful to
me since I define my libraries explicitly. Although... Now that I'm
looking more closely at the Ubuntu directory structure, your problem may
be that there isn't actually a shared library under /usr/lib/python2.7
(which is why my $python_library goes one level deeper).

Good luck! Compiling VMD for python is hard, but totally worth it in the
end.
-Josh Vermaas