From: Daniel Strahs (dstrahs_at_pace.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 01 2014 - 16:16:13 CDT

On Fri, 2014-08-01 at 16:51 -0400, Axel Kohlmeyer wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Daniel Strahs <dstrahs_at_pace.edu> wrote:
> > Following up on this message thread:
> >
> > Installing VMD 1.9.1 in Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS on an i386 laptop:
> >
> > #1) Initial install from source ran VMD with initial error message:
> > "rlwrap: command not found". This was due to a non-installation of
> > rlwrap.
>
> hmm... the script should continue not terminate.

Please note that I said "ran VMD with initial error message". The script
did indeed continue, and did not terminate.

> > #2) Installed rlwrap. Now VMD refused to run; error message was "rlwrap:
> > No match." Checked vmd start script in /usr/local/bin/vmd; vmdprefixcmd
> > was set properly to read "rlwrap -C vmd -c -b(){}[],&^%#;|\\ -f
> > ${MASTERVMDDIR}/vmd_completion.dat"
> >
> > #3) Edited rlwrap command to eliminate word-breaking characters ie
> > "rlwrap -C vmd -c -f ${MASTERVMDDIR}/vmd_completion.dat"; vmd starts
> > normally
> >
> > #4) Added in the word-breaking characters carefully testing each
> > addition. Final working command is "rlwrap -C vmd -c -b(){}],&^%#;|\\ -f
> > ${MASTERVMDDIR}/vmd_completion.dat"
> >
> > The problem with Ubuntu is two-fold. First, rlwrap is choking on the "["
> > character for some reason. Second, it only happens when csh is invoked.
> > The original rlwrap command (including [) works find in tcsh.
>
> > I haven't clarified whether this is an rlwrap bug or a csh bug in Ubuntu
> > 14.04. The immediate solutions at the moment appear to be either editing
> > the "[" character out of rlwrap word-breaking characters or switching to
> > a different shell in the script, such as tcsh.
>
> at this point it is difficult to tell apart which is a bug or a
> feature. there are subtle differences between csh and tcsh and some
> what argue that both are equally broken. i am not going down that
> rabbit hole, but very obviously the script has only seen limited
> testing on a "real" csh.
>
> i also would like to point out another option: use the /bin/sh
> compatible version of the launcher script. the bourne shell on ubuntu
> is very standard conforming and thus chances are that it has less of
> an issue...
>
> axel.

Except that some of the commands such as set and setenv would need to be
reformatted. Again, a rabbit hole, although as you note, probably of
limited depth... :)

A 3rd option is to just uninstall rlwrap, and live with the error
message and the lack of command-line editing. Quite liveable.