From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 24 2014 - 17:54:39 CDT

Unfortunately its as simple as recompiling VMD with python support,
since the default binaries distributed don't include it (which is why
you can't get it to work in all likelihood). Not many people use the
python interface to VMD (<1% of the VMD install base) since it means you
need to compile VMD yourself to accommodate your system version of
python. If you've ever compiled VMD before, its trivial to add it, and
the docs are all there online on how to use it. If not, I'd encourage
you to learn, as it took me a weekend to get it all figured out the
first time I compiled VMD from source. Since then, its probably
increased my productivity by an order of magnitude, since I can do math
on results without going through expr.
-Josh