From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2014 - 13:33:15 CDT

To be fair, very few people have commit privileges to the CVS, so there
aren't any benefits to using git or mercurial. cvs checkout and cvs
update are pretty much the only commands I ever use when keeping up with
VMD source, and if I have changes I'd like to see in VMD, I write them
up and go through the usual channels (vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu). For small things
(Angstrom was misspelled once), the fixes are pretty much immediate, but
for new features, it can take a month or two for additions to make it
through quality/utility control to make sure it doesn't break anything
and that someone other than me might possibly find it useful.
-Josh Vermaas