From: Mayne, Christopher G (cmayne2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2014 - 09:57:05 CDT

JP,

SMILES only encodes molecular graph information and does not contain any 3-dimentional coordinate information. It is largely used for storing 2D small molecule structures in databases as 1D text strings. I don't know your use-case, but I would guess that you are better off using a different format.

Regards,
Christopher Mayne