From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 12 2004 - 00:51:08 CST

Bret,
  While we don't have complete specifications for all of
the file formats that VMD supports, we do have write-ups of
a few of them in the documentation for each of the file
reader plugins, which is found on this page:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/molfile/

Take a look at the pages there and see if that gets you
headed in the right direction.