From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 18:33:51 CST

Chris,
  I too had some problems with the ATI 3.7.0 drivers. I ended up
downgrading my machine back to the 3.2.7 drivers which work pretty
reliably. The 3.7.0 drivers actually have several problems, enabling
stereo causes problems with X itself, running VMD with stereo enabled
kills the driver entirely. (crashed my box 10 times during the course
of testing the 3.7.0 drivers a couple weeks back..)
Anyway, I'd strongly suggest going to a previous driver version as
3.7.0 definitely has problems in my experience. I've reported the
problems I saw to ATI via their web form, I suggest that you do the same.
Hopefully they'll get this fixed at some point.