From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 12 2014 - 17:16:06 CST

Hi Jacob,

Any of the fields that VMD stores as an integer are good candidates for
using the modulo operation on when constructing an atom selection.

residue % 3 == 0 would give you every third residue
index % 2 == 0 would give you every other atom (by index).

You might be interested in more atomselection math functions to limit
the amount of volume that is shown at once.
See http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.9.1/ug/node19.html for a
simple example.

-Josh Vermaas