From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 29 2004 - 20:21:53 CST

Charles,
  I could address your request in one of several ways.
I'll take a look and see what's causing the NewRibbons code to
generate fewer colors. A cursory examination didn't immediately
reveal the answer, but it should be easy to fix. In any case,
with the NewRibbons code I could add color interpolation
at each "section" which would end up with color gradients that
are smoother than even the old ribbons code. There are times when
you want a sharp color change and times when smooth is preferable,
so the interpolation solution isn't as good as tying the color more
closely to individual atoms along the ribbon. I'll look at this some
more and let you know when I have something you can try out. It should
be a minor change.