From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Nov 04 2013 - 08:51:50 CST

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM, bharat gupta <bharat.85.monu_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Sir,
>
> Sorry for not framing my question properly. What I want is a final number
> for density around those residues. For eg, in this thread some one has

no. you are not paying attention. there *is* no such single number. it
cannot be. full stop. all there is are the various density values
through space as recorded at the various grid points. that is not the
same.

> pointed out the values that were obtained after doing volmap calculations :
> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/mailing_list/vmd-l/14404.html

but that person is very clearly referring to individual grid points
and not a single number. so that is *not* what you are asking for. as
i explained now twice, the property you ask for is ill defined. you
*do* have all the density values averaged over all the grid points in
the dx file. that is it. if you want to extract a single number out of
that, you first have to explain how this could be done in a consistent
and reproducible fashion without depending significantly on the grid
spacing and enclosing volume.

you have - so far - failed to explain this, so you cannot expect to
get any better answer than those that you already got. before you keep
asking the same thing all over again, please first prove how the
number you are looking for *can* be computed.

axel.