From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 26 2004 - 16:38:59 CST

Dear Yusu,
  VMD stores the output of both Surf and MSMS internally and doesn't
keep any of the output as a file. You can emit the surface triangulation
using the "STL" rendering method which writes a triangulated surface.
Alternately, you could run Surf or MSMS by hand and read their output
files directly. Within VMD though, using one of the "Render" options
is the easiest way to get a surface out. Before rendering, be sure
that the only geometry displayed in VMD is the surface you're interested in.

Thanks,