From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2013 - 02:52:57 CDT

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 8:34 AM, amit kunte <amit7kunte_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Sir,
> I meant to ask that is there a way to read lammps dump files with
> variable particles directly or do i have to always convert it to '.xyz'?

you can write out .xyz files in LAMMPS directly.

> Does vmd have such a conversion option?

no. not for a variable number of particles. VMD isn't really made for
that (yet). the option you are using is not a "native" VMD feature
anyway, but a plugin written in Tcl script. also it is a hack that
fakes VMD into seeing a trajectory with a constant number of
particles. you are most welcome to write a version of this script that
can handle LAMMPS dump files (and - of course - contribute it back to
VMD) for others to use.

axel.