From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 12 2003 - 10:06:50 CST

Dear Tyler,
  Drawing individual triangles with Tcl will be many times slower than
the built-in MSMS interface because they will be rendered one at a time
independently of each other, with no connectivity information. As such,
they cannot be automatically optimized by ACTC. Internally, VMD does
have the means to draw aribtrary RGB colors for triangles, the color scale
used by VMD is meant to be a convenience for the Tcl interface.

What sort of surfaces are you generating that you can't create
using the built-in MSMS interface in VMD? What parameters are you
passing MSMS in your scripted version?

Thanks,