From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun May 26 2013 - 01:24:16 CDT

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 3:40 AM, yp sun <sunyeping_at_yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> Dear VMD users,
>
> I find the VMD program installed in my computer with two tesla c2050
> cards loads dcd file very slowly, the FPS is about 3. Even in my laptop with
> the video card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4300 Series, VMD load dcd file with
> FPS of 45. Do you also have such experience? Why vmd works so bad in
> computer with GPU?

because loading files has *nothing* to do with GPUs. tesla GPUs in
particular are only used for certain highly compute bound operations.
just sticking a GPU into a machine doesn't make it faster.

as for the file i/o speed, it sounds a lot like you have your data on
your desktop not on a local disk, but on a networked file system,
which is orders of magnitude slower than a local (spinning) disk and
especially SSDs.

VMD has highly optimized code for reading dcd format files, so the
conclusion is that it is not a VMD problem, but how *you* are using
it.

axel.