From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 01 2003 - 15:37:46 CST

Dear Tyler,
  You can "screen" for almost any atom property you like through the use
of the VMD atom selection language. In your case, you could use something
like "radius > 1.1" or something like that, whatever radius cutoff you like.
Give this a try in the graphical representations window and you should be able
to immediately experiment with various selections. I'd suggest building the
selection using a "lines" rep first, so you can see results quickly, then
re-try your MSMS surface when you're satisfied. MSMS uses its own radii,
which is why you're getting different results when you run it by hand BTW.
(Unless you've written your own front-end rather than using the normal method
 they recommend)

Give that a try and let us knwo if you need more help tuning this up.

Thanks,