From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 26 2013 - 15:16:46 CDT

Hi Yarrow,

The fitting routines are trying to find a translation and rotation to
minimize the RMSD, so actually the problems are related, and are caused
by how RMSD is calculated. The formula sums over each atom's deviation
from the reference, and if the number of atoms in the selections isn't
identical, you run into problems, as there isn't a single reference to
compare to. You have two options:

-Concoct a selection that does share the number of atoms (if the number
of protein residues is the same "protein and backbone" should work,
regardless of a changed sidechains)

-Align your structures using a different metric. Multiseq might be just
what you need
(http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/vmd/tutorial-html/node6.html)

-Josh Vermaas