From: Bogdan Costescu (bcostescu_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 18 2013 - 07:19:09 CDT

Hi John!

The 1.9.2a20 version seems to have cured the performance issue, but
not with the default setting. I have to set VMDMAXAASAMPLES to 4 to
get about to about the same speed as the 2xx drivers.

The VMD startup text doesn't change, still reporting:

Info) [0] GeForce 9400 GT 4 SM_1.1 @ 1.38 GHz, 511MB RAM, KTO, OIO, ZCP
Info) OpenGL renderer: GeForce 9400 GT/PCIe/SSE2
Info) Features: STENCIL MSAA(16) MDE CVA MTX NPOT PP PS GLSL(OVFG)
Info) Full GLSL rendering mode is available.
Info) Textures: 2-D (8192x8192), 3-D (2048x2048x2048), Multitexture (4)

i.e. the MSAA(16) is still present. When I set VMDMAXAASAMPLES, I see
printed 5 times:

Info) User-requested OpenGL AA sample depth: 4

but all that follows is again the same (including MSAA(16)). I don't
know if this is only cosmetic...

But... the above results hold for driver 310.32; if using 313.09, I
get the slow speed independent of the VMDMAXAASAMPLES setting - but
this being a beta version might not mean much.

Let me know if you'd like me to test some more.

Cheers,
Bogdan