From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2013 - 12:58:36 CST

Hi Jorgen,

The first one is simple:

(protein and not hydrogen) and same residue as within 7.5 of residue TIP

For the second issue, have you tried using double quotes? I know that
VMD's atomselection parser handles selections differently with double
quotes than it does without, and that using a selection like:

resname "Mg+"

might solve your problem.

-Josh Vermaas