From: Bjørnar Jensen (bje076_at_ift.uib.no)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2013 - 04:09:18 CST

Hello Dave,

I can't think of any smart selections that can do this for you. But
there is a work around. It requires some effort, though.

Via the "atomselect" command, you can get and set bond lists. This
enables you to manually (via a script) assign the
correct bonds, thus avoiding this whole problem.

A pseudo-code for the script would be something like:
Select everything
Store bond list
For each list in bond list grab the index of each atom.
Check elements
Calculate distances
Add/remove bond depending on element/distance
Update bond list

If the bonds changes during the simulation you'll need something
slightly more advanced, which
reads in a list of bonds for each frame (or calculates on the fly along
the lines above). I did this two
years ago for use with ReaxFF, which drops a bond list.

Best regards,
Bjørnar Jensen.