From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 07 2012 - 14:10:03 CST

On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Tim Moore <tcmoore3_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any way I can have VMD recognize XML as HOOMD-Blue XML rather than VASP_XML? When I load an XML file it automatically chooses the VASP format, but I would like to be able to have it choose the HOOMD option by default.

that would like require compiling your own version.

if you launch VMD from the command line, just do:
vmd -hoomd myfile.xml

if you want a GUI, you could write a custom Tk GUI
that only shows the file formats that you want to be visible
and place the code into your .vmdrc or vmd.rc.

i have done an example for such a GUI a while back
and could send you the code, if desired, or post it
here, if more people would be interested.

axel.