From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2012 - 09:47:31 CST

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Sabine Reisser <sabine.reisser_at_kit.edu> wrote:
> Hi Axel,

hi sabine,

please always send a copy of your replies to the mailing list, too. thanks

> thanks for the quick answer. Removing the window frame works, but the menu
> bars are still there (see attachment). Is there a way to enlarge the window
> so they disappear, too?

yes, but that is not so simple.

this is not VMD's fault, but due
to your desktop environment deciding
it knows better what you want and
that placing an undecorated window
on top of the window stack is not
what you want, even if you asked for it.

(mind you, the view of the desktop environment
people is the opposite. they rather require you
to use a non-ICCCM window manager "hint".)

you can try to set the configuration of the two
panels to "auto-hide", replace the window manager,
or you can try to switch to a different (more minimal)
desktop environment altogether. i've done the first
with some success and the second with more success.
on the picture on the left in this post, you see how
far you can get with the first approach in a multi-screen
setup using a special hack for projecting on cylindrical
surfaces with overlapping projector displays:

https://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/news-and-announcements/vmdmulti-projectoroutputforinteractivemd

it worked for the purpose, but it was not 100% satisfactory.

ciao,
    axel.