From: Boris Steipe (boris.steipe_at_utoronto.ca)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2012 - 13:50:34 CST

There are two obvious approaches to get you started.

Use Main: Extensions -> Analysis -> sequence Viewer. The sequence column has the chain names.

Use Main: Graphics -> Representations and in the Coloring Method menu chose "Chain". That will colour the chains differently. Now use Main: Mouse -> Query (or just type 0 (zero, not "o") on your keyboard) and click any part of a chain. In the terminal console, you will get information on the atom you just clicked and part of this information is the chain.

Once you know the chain ID, you can use it as a selection and create graphics specifically for a chain, i.e. colour it differently, display it or not (by double-clicking the representation), or displaying it in different styles. Note that chain IDs are case sensitive: "a" is not the same as "A".

Usually some explanation of the chains is found in the HEADER section of the PDB file itself or on the structure's page at the PDB.

Cheers,

B.