From: Marcos Ackel (mvackel_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Sep 26 2012 - 15:43:19 CDT

Hi John,

it seems that there is something wrong. This is exactly what I've being doing. Just to be sure, I've repeated everything from the beginning. Both, for the SpaceNavigator and for the joystick - same results:

1) Started VMD
2) New Molecule (alanin.psf) -> Load     (alanin.psf is from the NAMD tutorial)

3) Browse (alanin.pdb) -> Load

4) (menu)/Graphics/Tools      (Tool Controls dialog opens)
5) button "create tool"     (a Grab tools appears at the OpenGL Display)
6) "Position" dropdown box    and select SpaceballTracker
    vmd console:    Info) Opening VMD console Spaceball device (tracker).
7) Buttons drowpdown box and select SpaceballButtons
    vmd console:   Info) Opening VMD console Spaceball device (buttons).
8) Press SpaceNavigator right (mode or button 2) button  6 times

    vmd console:    Info) Spaceball set to user mode                                Info) Spaceball set to rotation/translation mode
                                Info) Spaceball set to dominant axis rotation/translation mode
                                Info) Spaceball set to scaling mode

                                Info) Spaceball set to animate mode
                                Info) Spaceball set to tracker mode
(now, if I move the SpaceNavigator, the tool moves in the OpenGL view - as expected)
9) Press SpaceNavigator left (button1):
    vmd console:    Info) Spaceball reset view orientation

Tried many different combinations of buttons, tool creation orders, and different uses of the "Assigned Rep" tab (in the Tool Controls dialog), different tools  with the same result. Also, tried the Tug Tools in a running Interactive MD. In all cases I was not able to connect to the molecule.

I've looked at the source code trying to identify what should be the called function to connect the molecule, but couldn't conclude anything.

Cheers,

Marcos