From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 06 2003 - 17:28:49 CST

Ioana,
  You need to redirect the input to VMD in order to run jobs
like that in the background, otherwise the first time that VMD
wants input, the background job will freeze waiting for console
input. Probably the best way to do this is with a command structure
like this:
  vmd -dispdev text -eofexit < zc15Ef.vmd |& tee zc15Ef.out &
or something like
  vmd -dispdev text -eofexit < input.tcl > output.log &

VMD will exit when it hits EOF (end of file) on input in this case.

This is mentioned on the command line options documentation page,
but perhaps it deserves more text?
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/current/ug/node189.html

Thanks,