From: JC Gumbart (gumbart_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 17 2012 - 13:57:45 CDT

The DEO1 patch is (was) needed to convert RNA bases to DNA. However, the header of top_all36_na file explains the problem:

! For DNA update, new atom type required for P of DNA. This required
! replication of a number of parameters and the creation of new
! patches, DEOX and DEO5, to convert RNA to DNA, such that previous
! CHARMM scripts to generate DNA will no longer work. Note that the
! atom type change to P3 ONLY applies to the phosphodester linkage in
! DNA and NOT to terminal phosphates, DMP etc.

This is why I prefer to never use autopsf - it makes many assumptions, some apparent and some hidden. Better to write your own psfgen script (like in the NAMD tutorial), so you know exactly every step involved in building the psf.