From: Tru Huynh (tru_at_pasteur.fr)
Date: Mon Jul 30 2012 - 16:58:21 CDT

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 08:24:29PM -1000, Irene Newhouse wrote:

> The latest Centos has an X11 driver called nouveau. It's supposed to be the
> greatest thing since sliced bread, but it's incompatible with VMD, or at
> least it was about 6 months ago when my husband & I upgraded our Centos
> installations. You have to disable & uninstall nouveau & replace it with the
> graphics drivers that match your board [nvidia in our case].i

The easiest path to use the Nvidia drivers on CentOS (5 or 6) is to
add the elrepo repository from http://www.elrepo.org and 'yum install
kmod-nvidia'. For ATI cars, just 'yum install kmod-fglrx'.
Caveat, if you have installed the Nvidia or ATI drivers previously
from their *.run files, you need to uninstall them first!
sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-xxx.run --uninstall
sh ./ati-driver-installer-xxx.rin --uninstall

Cheers,

Tru
PS: more details at http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-nvidia
and http://elrepo.org/tiki/kmod-fglrx

--
Dr Tru Huynh          | http://www.pasteur.fr/recherche/unites/Binfs/
mailto:tru_at_pasteur.fr | tel/fax +33 1 45 68 87 37/19