From: Sebastián Gutiérrez (segumal_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2012 - 17:40:32 CDT

Vince,

Just for the record, you can also use those 35 different types of lipids
for building membrane-protein complexes.
That reduced number of lipids appear when you want to build a homogeneous
membrane.

I'm unaware of what protocol CHARMM-GUI uses to build its membranes, but it
seems to me that you can't upload your own lipid for building custom
membranes.
If i'm not mistaken, one could be able to contact CHARMM-GUI developers and
(nicely) ask them to add more lipid types. I think i read something about
it at the website, you might want to check that.
If that doesn't work, you might be able to modify VMD's membrane builder.
I'm sure that this topic has been covered in more detail in this mailing
list before.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Sebastián